In a crowded event like the Romance Writers of America annual “Readers for Life” Literacy Autographing (July 22, 2015, New York Marriott® Marquis, New York, New York) how can a writer stand out?
- Write a Bestseller. Easier said than done. But those who hit multiple bestseller lists have their own tables (as opposed to shared table space), set off to the side to accommodate their many fans. Looking for Nora Roberts or Catherine Coulter? Just follow the long lines at the edge of the group event.
- Wear an Eye-catching Hat. This is not for everyone. I have an amazing emerald witch’s hat, which fits with the theme of my Young Adult paranormal series, The Teen Wytche Saga. Since I’m petite, the hat would help me be seen. But I’m too tiny and the hat looks ridiculous on me. However, NYT, PW and USA Today Bestselling Author and shamanic witch, Yasmine Galenorn, (Otherworld Series), can totally rock a big hat. And hats aren’t just for paranormal authors. At the recent Desert Writers Expo, Alexa Palmer gained attention because of her large colorful hat — a perfect match for her children’s picture book, Jolene — Adventures of a Junk Food Queen.
- Have an Intriguing or Humorous Tagline. At the 2014 Romantic Times Convention, I shared a table Lori Crawford. When potential readers/buyers asked Lori about her books, her quick and startling comeback was, “I write Christian erotica.” You’d be amazed at how many people stopped and gave her books a second glance.
- Add Visual Effects. Your local Staples or Office Depot can print posters of your book covers and mount and laminate them on foam board. To add movement to your tabletop display, set your tablet on continuous loop and show a slide show of your covers, or run your book trailers.
- Offer Chocolate. Romance readers aren’t the only readers who love chocolate. At the Desert Writers Expo, several of the 40 authors in attendance had bowls of candy on their tables. When word got out I had brought homemade brownies, authors and readers sought out my table.
Write the best book you can. Then, with a little creativity and planning, set yourself apart from the rest of the pack.
Copyright 2015 Ariella Moon